With more that 13,000 applications in their Marketplace Microsoft came out on stage today to make some new announcements about what's coming to Windows Phone 7. We'll see a major upgrade on all Windows Phone devices by the end of the year and developers are getting access to a lot of new APIs enabling new application scenarios.
Here is a summary list of the new features.
- Multitasking - in addition to faster application switching multitasking will allow applications to continue processing in the background.
- Live Tile Functionality Enhancements -
- Sensor Library Enhancements - You'll have enhanced access to the sensor library and
Access to the camera and compass-! Reality augmentation is possible!
- Sockets - This needs no explanation
- Database -
- IE9 - with hardware acceleration
- Silverlight+XNA - you can use Silverlight and XNA in the same application
- Twitter in the People Hub
- Background Transfers
- Silverlight 4 Runtime
Several new countries are being added to the Marketplace. This brings up the total count from 17 to 35. The new countries are listed below with *
- Czech Republic*
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- South Africa*
- South Korea*
- USA /
If you have Expressions Blend 3 you are in luck. Microsoft will be allowing you to upgrade to Expressions Blend 4 for free.